long-period variable stars
A monitoring of LPV stars with the Elodie spectrovelocimeter
This page contains the data collected on a large sample of long-period variable stars (Mira- and semiregular-type variables) monitored with the ELODIE spectrovelocimeter at Observatoire de Haute-Provence between August, 1998 and August, 2000.
The aim of this project, which involves A. Jorissen, M. Dedecker, and R. Alvarez at IAA (Brussels), B. Plez at GRAAL (Montpellier), D. Gillet at Observatoire de Haute-Provence and A. Fokin at Russia Academy of Sciences is to make full use of the powerful technique of cross-correlating the stellar spectrum with carefully designed numerical masks to extract the phase variations of specific sets of spectral lines forming at different depths in the pulsating atmosphere.
This new tomographic technique, developed at IAA, overcomes the difficulty presented by the crowded nature of the spectra of LPVs and allows to follow the progression of the shock wave in the atmosphere. It opens new perspectives for the study of the dynamics of LPVs.
The project was supported by a European Community research grant (TMR Marie Curie Fellowship).
- The sample (82 LPVs and standard stars): postscript, or ascii
- Individual cross-correlation function codes (see Paper III) and radial velocity data: postscript, or ascii
- The mpeg movie [.mpg; 163 kb] of the sequence of cross-correlation functions of RT Cyg (August-September, 1999)
->Note: for optimal visualization, you should configurate your mpeg video player with the following parameters: color adjustment: maximum contrast; frame rate: 10 per second; loop play.
- Envelope tomography of long-period variable stars III. Line-doubling frequency among Mira stars
Alvarez R., Jorissen A., Plez B., Gillet D., Fokin A., Dedecker M., 2001, A&A
- Envelope tomography of long-period variable stars II. Method
Alvarez R., Jorissen A., Plez B., Gillet D., Fokin A., Dedecker M., 2001, A&A submitted.
- Envelope tomography of long-period variable stars I. The Schwarzschild mechanism and the Balmer emission lines
Alvarez R., Jorissen A., Plez B., Gillet D., Fokin A., 2000, A&A 362, 655.
Jorissen A., Alvarez R., Plez B., Gillet D., Fokin A., 2000. \\ In: H. Boffin, D. Steeghs, J. Juypers (eds.) Astro Tomography - An International Workshop on Indirect Imaging, Springer-Verlag, in press
- Monitoring of long-period variable stars with the ELODIE spectrovelocimeter
' Alvarez R., Jorissen A., Plez B., Gillet D., Fokin A., 1999. In: J. Hron, S. Hoefner (eds.) 2nd Austrian ISO Workshop - Atmospheres of M, S and C Giants'', University of Vienna, p.15
Please send your comments, suggestions and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org